Application Deadline, Fee, and Interview Dates
- Applications for the NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program open every year in August. Applications for fall 2023 admission will open August 1, 2022. Applicants must submit the program application by December 1, 2022 for admission consideration.
- To submit an application, visit the NIH Graduate Partnerships Program (GPP) Application Center.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and possess a Bachelors degree by the start of the program
- Prospective students must first submit the NIH GPP Application for admission consideration. If desired, interested candidates may delay submission of the UK University application until notification of program acceptance. Please note that students seeking consideration for external scholarships such as Rhodes or Gates-Cambridge must submit the UK application by the University deadline.
- It is highly recommended that prospective students read the FAQs prior to submitting an application.
- There is no application fee for the NIH GPP application. However, applications for the UK University may have an application fee.
- Students selected to interview will be notified by late-January.
- Interviews for the NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program will be held virtually February 14-16, 2023. Invited interviewees are expected to participate all three days.
- Interviews may occur virtually or in-person at the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland. If program interviews are held in-person, the OxCam Program will cover the individual's transportation and lodging costs during interviews.
- Students admitted into the Program will be notified by the end of February.
Application and Partnership Selection
Candidates interested in admission to the NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program must submit the NIH GPP application. To start an application:
1. Create your account username and password, then select “Apply Now”
2. Select the GPP APPLICATION (Long Form) option
3. Indicate the desired GPP and/or training pathway under "Partnership Selection". A full list of the available NIH Institutional Partnerships is provided here.
a. To apply for the NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars (PhD Only) Program, select: University of Oxford (England)/University of Cambridge (England)/NIH - PhD
b. To apply for Track 1 of the MD/PhD Partnership Training Program, select: University of Oxford (England) / University of Cambridge (England) / Consortia of Universities - NIH - MD/PhD - Track-1
c. To apply for Track 2 of the MD/PhD Partnership Training Program, select: University of Oxford (England)/University of Cambridge (England)/NIH - MD/PHD - Track 2
4. Applications for fall 2023 admission must be submitted no later than December 1, 2022.
Research Interests include:
- Field(s) of research you are interested in (e.g. neuroscience, imaging, immunology, biostatistics)
Research Experience include:
- Research project title and goal
- Research internships
- Independent undergraduate research
- Major accomplishments and findings
- Research techniques learned
Publications and Presentations include:
- Papers with author list and citation
- Thesis, abstracts, meetings, etc.
Awards & Honors include:
- Undergraduate awards and recognitions
- Dean’s list
- Research fellowships
- Community citations
Extracurricular Activities include:
- Leadership roles
- Memberships in professional associations
- GRE scores are not required and will not be considered.
- MCAT scores are required for MD/PhD Track 1 applicants only.
- List any scholarships (Marshall, Rhodes, Gates-Cambridge, NIH Cambridge Trust, Churchill, Fulbright, etc.) that you are in the process of applying for or have already submitted an application to.
- List potential mentors at the NIH and Oxford and/or Cambridge whose research you are interested in. You can search for NIH faculty members on the individual NIH institute web sites, which can be found through the NIH Intramural Research Program site.
Letters of Recommendation
- Requests for letters of recommendation will be sent as soon as the contact information is entered for the individuals you indicate and the application is saved.
- The applicant is not required to submit the application in order for the letter requests to be sent.
- Recommenders must submit the letters of recommendation by December 2, 2022.
- Letters must be written and dated within the last 12 months.
- Only letters uploaded to the on-line application site will be accepted.
- Applications with less than three letters of recommendation are incomplete and will not be considered for admission.
Questions related to the OxCam Program application may be directed to the NIH OxCam Office at email@example.com.